Thursday, April 25, 2019

Album Review - Full Moon - Sam Coe and The Long Shadows



Whiskey, rhinestones, filled to the brim with heartache and making the best of a situation there is no doubt that this is a country album!

Plus track 8, Salvation ensures that the religious angle is covered. Don't get the wrong impressions, there is no preaching in this song, in fact as Sam sings about the man looking for salvation, the description casts no doubt in my mind that I would love the guy too.

Being British however, it seems that we cannot go a whole album without mentioning the weather; track 7 - Tennessee Blue is easy listening which will have you singing along "Tennessee Blue, Tennessee Grey , doesn't matter what the weather does, your heart has gone and lead me astray".


The title track - Full Moon is something a little different, with an interesting twist to Sam's voice that I can only describe as a "hiccup" effect, in a way matching the sound of the guitar.  The whole album showcases the musical talent of the Long Shadows, in this track they manage to build the excitement whereas in track 9, A Thousand Conversations they manage to trick my senses, my ears hear a stand up bass but I know that it isn't here!

The live recording of 'Rocking Chair Regrets' , track 11  doesn't really sound that different to the rest of the studio album, you are still drawn to the guitar picking and follow the rise and fall of Sam's Voice.  

We have all been in that relationship that isn't going well and holds no hope for the future, and yet we convince ourselves and others that everything is ok; this is captured perfectly in the lyrics of track 10 - Holding on to you . Track 12 - Santa Fe is a song of female liberation, standing by our convictions, finding our own way that really highlights the power of Sam's voice but despite this my favourite of the album has to be track 5 - End in tears, it takes me back to a forgotten era, this is the country music I grew up listening to on the wireless, it really suits Sam's voice and I was not ready to move on!

Rocking Chair Regret sings about no regrets, I can say that you will not regret purchasing this album! 


Francesca listened to this album as Country albums should be listened to - on a road trip!


Find Sam and the band on Facebook and on their website

No comments:

Post a Comment